Traveling to PennApps?
If you've been accepted to PennApps XV (Winter 2017) from another school, please refer to the guidelines below when making travel arrangements:
Many schools will have buses
We will provide buses to and from select schools via Sharethebus, a bus sharing service. If we are sending a bus to your area, your “travel method” will be listed as “chartered bus”. A student bus representative will reach out to you regarding bus departure and arrival times as well as the sign up location. Seats are reserved on a first come, first serve basis until the bus fills to capacity by following the sign-up form from your bus rep's email. If you delay too long, your bus rep may assign your seat to someone on the waitlist. Reserving this seat will be at no cost and you won’t need to apply for reimbursement.
Book Your Travel ASAP
If you are traveling via flight, Amtrak, or public bus, you will have 5 days to RSVP and upload your receipts and forms from the day you receive your acceptance email. After this period, we cannot guarantee admission and will not increase your travel cap.
For every travel region, we've done research to find average prices for reimbursable travel that will have you here for the entire event. We will only reimburse you up to this amount.
If you research transportation from your location and find the travel cap to be unreasonable, feel free to contest it with us by emailing [email protected]
Dates and Times
You should anticipate arriving by 4 PM Friday, January 20th and leaving after 5 PM on Sunday, January 22nd.
Staying Sunday Night
If you cannot book travel for Sunday night and want to leave on Monday morning, please try and arrange to stay with a Penn friend on campus. We can try and help you arrange somewhere to stay, but cannot guarantee availability.
Unusual Travel Plans
As mentioned earlier, we will not cover any costs exceeding the travel cap we've provided for you. You will need to pay any additional costs associated with alternate travel reservations, such as leaving late on Friday to avoid missing a class.
Getting to the event
The event will be at the University of Pennsylvania School of Engineering and Applied Science, 220 S. 33rd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
The cheapest way to get to Penn Engineering by yourself from the airport is to take the SEPTA regional rail airport line. University City station is a very short walk from Penn Engineering. The fare is $8 cash either way. A taxi or Uber is cheaper if four people pool together. We will not reimburse for travel costs within Philadelphia.
Trains and Buses
Trains and Buses will stop at the 30th Street Train Station, which is a few blocks from Penn Engineering and is easily walkable.
Drive if you can!
It's generally a cheaper and more convenient option, particularly if a few hackers carpool together. We will pay for gas and help you find a place to park. The total cap of everyone carpooling will be the sum of the individual caps of all accepted hackers.
When submitting your driving receipts, You must add a screenshot clearly showing the distance and endpoints of the drive from Google maps. You will be reimbured $0.29 per mile travelled.
We process a lot of reimbursements -- help us help you
- Reimbursements must be submitted on Saturday at the travel desk at PennApps. Failure to do so will result in delays of your reimbursement.
- All relevant reimbursement forms will be available at the travel desk.
- An expedited queue will also be available for those who have already completed their reimbursement packets, which are available for download after rsvp on https://my.pennapps.com. People who submit to this queue will get processed quickest, so it is highly recommended to fill your forms out before coming.
- Printers and copiers will be provided to print out receipts and other relevant documents.
- If you qualify for Venmo Reimbursement, we will send the reimbursement to your Venmo account instantly at the travel desk. If you do not qualify, you will need to apply for a Check reimbursement.
- To qualify for instant Venmo reimbursement, you must have a Venmo account (free to sign up with a U.S. bank account).
- You will be required to submit a receipt of your travel expenses. Please make sure your receipts clearly show the dollar amount spent. Cropped or edited reciepts will be rejected.
- If your tickets can only be purchased on the day you depart from PennApps (SEPTA, NJTransit, Cab, Uber etc) then you must submit for check reimbursement after the event.
- Once you apply for Check Reimbursement, Penn will send you a check in the mail within about two months.
- For reimbursements, US citizens must submit their W9, Guest Reimbursement forms, and receipts in addition to any other required screenshots.
- For reimbursements, Non-US citizens must submit their W8, Guest Reimbursement, FNIF forms along with a copy of the front page of their passport, a copy of the stamp of entry in their passport and a copy of their visa/ESTA and receipts in addition to any other required screenshots.
- Please make sure your receipts clearly show the dollar amount spent. Cropped or edited reciepts will be rejected.
- If your tickets can only be purchased on the day of the event (SEPTA, NJTransit, Cab, Uber etc) then you will be permitted to submit your forms after the event.
- If you know other people who have been accepted to PennApps coming from the same location, it would be advantageous to have one person book the tickets for everyone. This will make the travel reimbursement process easier. If possible, have this person be an US citizen.
- Please ensure all your forms are fully completed and signed. This saves us unbelievable amounts of time.
- US citizens applying for reimbursement are required to submit a W9 form, with their Social Security Number, for the University's tax records. Forms without SSNs will be rejected.
- Once you have made your booking, we will not cover any change fees.
- We will not cover any unnecessary travel fees, such as an upgrade to business class, food bought on the plane, et cetera.
- We will not be reimbursing any travel within the city of Philadelphia.
At [email protected]